Location: Thimphu, Bhutan
Terms of Reference
The Director will lead and drive the Foundation’s programs in Bhutan. She/he is responsible for the strategic planning, implementation, and communication of the Foundation’s programs. In addition, she/he will be a key member of the Bhutan Foundation’s international management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of the Foundation. She/he will lead, coach and support the Foundation’s Bhutan Office team to perform at their best to meet and exceed partner, donor, and board expectations.
Responsibilities include strategically strengthening programs while ensuring high-quality delivery of project impact, fundraising and donor engagement, leveraging local and international partnerships. The Director must be well-informed about national and international development priorities and steer programs in response to these priorities. She/he will also be the face of the Bhutan Foundation in the country and must ensure its positive image and visibility.
The Bhutan Foundation seeks a dynamic, results-oriented, and experienced professional who will lead the Bhutan country office. She/he must have a penchant for social justice, fairness, and collaboration.
Major duties and responsibilities
a. Leadership and Representation
- Provides leadership, ensures quality, and oversees all the Bhutan Foundation’s operations and programs in Bhutan
- Develops and oversees the implementation of the Foundation’s strategy in Bhutan, and propose any changes in positioning or strategy as appropriate
- Ensures coordination, communication, and liaison with key stakeholders including relevant government agencies, local authorities, multilateral agencies, national and international NGOs, and other relevant civil society organizations
- Keep management and board updated on relevant news from Bhutan that may impact or influence Foundation’s programs or operations
- Lead the Bhutan team in responding to changing needs on the ground, external factors, and other challenges
- Build productive relationships with partner civil society organizations and beneficiaries
- Explore the potential of building strategic partnership with other national and/or international organizations that provide funding to or leverage the Foundation’s programs and interests
- Represent the Foundation at national and international level meetings, INGO forums, and official functions, and events
- Communicate information about Foundation initiatives to policymakers, target communities, providers, foundation supporters, and the general public
b. Team Management and Development
- Provide effective leadership and management to the Bhutan Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team
- Ensure staff wellbeing, engagement, learning, and development of staff are sufficiently prioritized
- Build and nurture a smooth and effective relationship with the US office based on trust and cooperation
c. Program Development
- Oversee program development and implementation by coordinating with Program Managers and Program Officers in order to achieve effective and high-quality program impact and outcomes
- Regularly visit projects in the field to provide appropriate monitoring, guidance, and support
- Monitor and manage grants and special projects
- Review grant reports and financial reporting of all grants
- Fundraise for Bhutan Foundation programs and operations which include coordinating and/or leading donor trips to Bhutan.
- Discover and meet with potential donors in Bhutan
- Fiduciary responsibility of the Bhutan Country office, including but not limited to
- oversight of finance officer
- maintaining proper and accurate financial records
- distributing payroll and benefits to employees
- obtaining an audit for the Bhutan office
- Master’s degree in fields related to international development and/or non-profit management
- Five or more years of relevant experience in international development, public policy, nonprofit management, or related field. Preference given to candidates with previous grant making experience
- Proven skills in management, supervision, leadership and networking
- Strong analytic and communication skills, including skills in making well organized verbal presentations
- Ability to write and speak clearly and succinctly in English
- The ability (through analysis, questioning, informal research, and site visits) to determine the feasibility of submitted proposals
- Willingness to travel (internal travel to project sites or with donors are required, travel to the US or internationally may be expected for board meetings, events, donor visits etc.)
The Director must operate with independence, under pressure to meet deadlines and commitments. S/he should also have the ability to prioritize effectively and work accurately under time constraints, using initiative and judgment and a high level of administrative and organizational skill. The Director should have excellent interpersonal and communications skills and must enjoy facilitating the work of others.
Terms of appointment and compensation
This is a full-time position based in Thimphu, Bhutan. Must be willing to make a 3-year commitment. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes attractive benefits.
Desired start date for this position is as soon as possible.
- Please email a cover page, resume, and 3 professional references by 26th August 2020 to email@example.com
- All applications will be confidential.
- Applications will be selected in a fair and equitable approach.